Bradshaw Families Living In Ulster

Home

 

Origin of Name

Coat of Arms

Historical Doc's

& Books

 

Births 1600

Births 1800

Births 1864

Births 1900

 

Marriages 1600

Marriages 1800

Marriages 1845

Marriages 1900

 

Deaths 1600

Deaths 1864

Deaths 1900

Graves

 

Family Trees

Family Links

 

Census Records

Directories/Wills

 

Military Service

Passenger Lists

 

Land Records

Parishes & Townlands

 

New Pages &

File Updates

 

Contact Information

 

 

01-Jun-15

Origin of the Name Bradshaw

 

 

Non nobis solum nati sumus

 

The origin of the name Bradshaw comes from the Township of Bradshaw in the Parish of Bolton-Le-Moors, Lancashire, England.  In the early 13th century this old district of Bolton was called "Bradeshaghe" meaning a "broad wood" or copse.

(motto - We are not born for ourselves alone)

 

The Parish of Bolton-Le-Moors, Lancashire

 

Township of Bradshaw

 

 

 

“In 1298, William son of Richard de Bradshagh and Mabel his wife, were in possession of the manors of Haigh and Blackrod, which were Mabel's right as heir of the last-named Hugh le Norreys. Her husband from his name is supposed to have been a descendant of the Bradshaghs of Bradshaw, near Turton.

Ref: A History of the County of Lancaster, Vol. 4

 

"Of the period 1350 -1500, we have but fragmentary evidence of the Bradshaw family and their activities at Bradshaw, but the name de Bradshaw occurs many times in inquisitions post mortem, marriage settlements, and indeed law suits." 

 

Extracts from Lords of The Manor of Bradshaw by James J Francis (1977),

by kind permission of Turton Local History Society

 

 

 

 

Shield above the Doorway

 

 

Shield above the Window

 

 

 

Bradshaw Hall - 18th Century

 

 

Bradshaw Hall before it was demolished in 1948

(photographs courtesy of Richard Lee Bradshaw)

 

 

 

Bradshaw Hall showing 17th century mantelpiece

(photograph courtesy of Bolton Museum)

 

 

Bradshaw Hall - May 2008

(Location - 53deg 36'40N & 2deg 24'07W)

 

 

 

Bradshaw of Marple Hall, Cheshire

On 27th March 1694, John Bradshaw Senior entered into a legal contract for the sale of the remainder of his estate and Lordship to Henry Bradshaw of Marple Hall.  The sale was completed within six months and "included the Coat of Arms (Bradshaw of Bradshaw) of John Bradshaw the father and the son and liberty to quarter the same with the said Henry Bradshaw's own Coat of Arms" - selling price £4000.

 

 

Marple Hall became derelict in the 1940's and was eventually demolished and grassed over by Marple Council.

 

 

 

 

Bradshaw of Haigh, Lancashire

 

Sir William Bradshaw of Haigh

Wigan, Lancashire

(Photograph courtesy of Richard Lee Bradshaw)

 

 

Sir Roger Bradshaigh, first Baronet, was born on 13 January 1628 at Haigh Hall, near Wigan and died 31 March 1684.  Sir Roger had been responsible for establishing the Haigh Colliery as one of the largest in Lancashire. When Sir Roger Bradshaw, the last Baronet died in 1787 without issue, the Manor and Estate passed on to his sister Elizabeth who was married to John the son of Sir Henry Edwin.

 

 

 

 

Bradshaw of Duffield, Derbyshire, England

 

Anthonie Bradshaw of Duffield, Derbyshire

(1545-1614)

 

Near this place lies the body of Samuel Bradshaw of Holebrook, Gent, who served King William, Queen Anne and King George near 30 years as Receiver General of Their Majesties Land Tax in the County of Derby ..... He Died ..... August 19th  1716 Aged 64

Colonel Joseph Bradshaw Companion of the Most Honorable Order of the Bath died in Command of the 1st. Battalion 60th. Royal Rifles, at Kussowlie, in the East Indies on the 18th. day of October 1850 aged forty four years ....................

 

Photographs by kind permission of St. Alkmund's Parish Church, Duffield, Derbyshire

 

 

 

Bradshaw Hall, Eyam, Derbyshire, England

 

Front view before it collapsed in 1961

Rear view - March 2009

 

 

“Bradshaw Hall was built about 1611 as a three story extension to the east side of Stafford Hall by Francis Bradshaw, great grandson of Francis who married Anne, daughter of Humphrey Stafford, in 1565.  The widow and daughter of Squire George Bradshaw fled the village at the onset of the plague in 1665 and never returned.”

Eyam Museum.

 

(This account of Elizabeth fleeing Eyam in 1665 at the outbreak of the plague is disputed. George Bradshaw died in 1646 and Elizabeth was left to raise five children.  In 1660, she left for nearby Brompton, leaving Bradshaw Hall, Eyam unoccupied)

 

“About 1630, George Bradshaw, gentleman of Bradshaw in Derbyshire, married Elizabeth Callum, daughter of Sir Hugh Callum and Mary F Emerson of Cloughwater”, Co Cavan. 

O'Harts Irish Pedigrees

 

George (1587-1646) of Bradshaw Hall in Eyam may well have been a merchant in Dublin.  He was involved with his Uncle Peter who had lands in Ireland.  Peter was a prosperous merchant and operated out of London, at The Sign of the Antelope, in Watling Street.

Richard Lee Bradshaw

 

George's wife, Elizabeth (1613-1671), was the daughter of Captain (later Sir) Hugh Culham (Cullum) of Cloughouter Castle in County Cavan. She may have been born at Cloughouter.  Hugh Culham was the son of Hugh Culme, Esq. of Chanston and Cannonleigh, Devonshire.

Internet Source

 

 

 

Bradshaw Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, England

 

1620 Francis Bradshawe

 

The Jacobean Hall is located in Bradshaw Edge Township in the  Parish of Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire

 

(written above archway)

Bradshaw Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith - March 2009

 

 

 

 

Inner/ Hall Side of Gateway - 2009

Outer side of Gateway - 2009

 

 

"Over the old gateway at Bradshaw, which is in good preservation, his own name and the date (1620) have been carved on the side facing the Hall over a shield, on which is a curious device which has puzzled every modern student of heraldry who has seen it. Lord Hawkesbury, who has recently been kind enough to search into the question, is of the opinion that it is a badge or cognizance, and Mr. P. Carlyon-Britton, of London, that he should describe it as 'a thorn between six nails.'  With this assistance, a possible solution suggests itself, which, if correct, is at least amusing. That the device is a rebus on the name Bradshawe, viz, six nails for the plural 'Brads', a species of nail, and the thorn for the old English 'Haw' hence Brads-haw.  This suggests a further  possibility, viz, whether the scroll of foliage surrounding the shield may not be a spray of barberry, the whole being in honour of Barbara Bradshawe, whose name would thus appropriately follow that of her husband, as her initials did upon the stone of the previous year. This would account for the otherwise curious absence on the main gateway of any reference to her. We must not forget in this relation the acrostic of Anthony Bradshawe at Duffield. On the outer side of the gateway is a shield, bearing a coat-of-arms, as follows; -

 

 Argent, two bendlets between two martlets sable (Bradshawe), Impaling, or, a chevron, gules, between three martlets, sable (Stafford) with a crest above, a stag at gaze (statant) proper under a vine tree, fruited, proper (Bradshawe).

 

The tricking of the arms bears the impress of the work of an amateur. The Stafford arms, borne by his mother as an heiress, ought to have been quartered by Francis Bradshawe, with the Bradshawe arms on the dexter shield; while the Davenport arms, as borne by his wife, should have been impaled. This error has misled genealogists into a supposition that the Hall and arch were built by his father........"

 

Analysis by Charles Eyre Bradshaw Bowles and courtesy of Richard Lee Bradshaw

 

 

Fire Surround thought to have originated from Bradshaw Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith

Bradshaw Hall was built in 1620 and the fire surround is dated 1621

16 Qui vit content tient assez 21

FrancisBradshaweAnne

 

 

 

Arms - Two Bendlets between two Martlets.

Crest – On a wreath, on a mount a stag statant. under a vine, fructed.

 

 

In 2010, the fire surround was installed in a Listed House in South East England

(Photographs courtesy of Alan George)

 

 

 

Henry Bradshaw of Halton Hall, Buckinghamshire

 

In 1545/6 Henry Bradshaw purchased the Manor of Halton from Henry VIII for the sum of 800 marks. Henry was Solicitor General of England 1540-45

 

Pray for the Souls of Henry Bradshawe Esquire Chief Baron of the Exchequer of the Lord King and Johan his wife which certain Henry died the XXVII Day of July Ano Dom MDLIII and in the VII year of the reign of King E VI on whose soul May God have Mercy

 

 

 

Photograph & Translation courtesy of St. Michael & All Angels Church, Halton, Buckinghamshire

 

 

 

Here  Lyeth the Bodye of Johan Bradshawe daughter and coheire of John Hurste of Kingston on Temes in the county of Surry Gent, who --- and to her second husband Henry Bradshawe Esq, late Lord Baron of the Xchequer ---

 

 

 

Photographs courtesy of St. Giles Church, Noke, Oxfordshire

 

 

 

Bradshaw of Co. Limerick & Tipperary

 

 


Farmyard View - May 2009

Rear View - May 2009

Sir Roger Bradshaw's (1608-1657) son, Robert Bradshaw 1643 - 1718), came to Ireland in 1662 with his mother Elizabeth nee' Bradshaw and brother, and lived in the above castle - Castletown, Coonagh, County Limerick

(52 deg 35' 03.20" N, 8 deg 15' 18.20" W)

 

 

William Bradshaw VC of Thurles, Co. Tipperary

 

Sacred to the Memory of

 WILLIAM BRADSHAW V.C.

Late Assistant Surgeon 32nd Light Infantry Who Died on the 9th March 1861 He served with the 50th Reg't At the siege and fall of Sebastopol

From the 8th Nov 1854 (medal, clasp & Turkish medal) and with the 90th Light Infantry

During the Indian Campaign of 1857 and 58 was present with Havelock's Column at the actions of the 21st and 23rd Sep' was wounded at the latter Relief and subsequent defence of Lucknow Defence of the Alumbach under Outram, and Fall of Lucknow, (medal, clasp and Victoria Cross)

 

 

QUI VIT CONTENT TIENT ASSEZ

 

 

 

 

 

QUI VIT CONTENT TIENT ASSEZ

 

In memory of

Dr. GEORGE BRADSHAW

of Thurles

Who died on the 14th August 1867

Aged 68 years

His wife

ALICIA

Who died on the 31st October 1852

Aged 52 years

and their son

Dr. JOHN BRADSHAW

Staff surgeon who died at sea

on the 19th July 1858

Aged 32 years

 

 

 

 

 

In memory of

Dr FRANCIS BRADSHAW L.R.C.S.I.

youngest son of

Dr. GEORGE BRADSHAW

of Thurles who died of fever at Sierra Leone

on the 6th of April 1866

Aged 26 years

 

Memorials in St. Mary's Church of Ireland, Thurles, Co. Tipperary

(Photographs, courtesy of Tim Robinson & permission of St. Mary's Church)

 

 

 

Bradshaw of Milecross Lodge, Newtownards, Co. Down

 

 

Milecross Lodge,

built in 1780

by

Thomas Bradshaw

 

 

 

 

Bradshaw Coat of Arms

The book Victoria History of Lancashire, states that in 1306, Robert de Bradshaw was the first Bradshaw named tenant of the Township.  The coat of Arms - Bradshaw of Bradshaw, is the original, from which subsequent Bradshaw Arms have been derived. Bradshaw Coats of Arms include; Bradshaw of Bradshaw (Township of Bradshaw, Bolton), Bradshaw of Haigh Hall (near Wigan, Lancashire), Bradshaw of Marple (Cheshire), Bradshaw of D’arcy Lever (near Bolton, Lancashire) and Bradshaw of Milecross (Newtownards, Co Down). 

 

Senior Branch of Bradshaw Family


Bradshaw of Bradshaw,

Lancashire  

 John Bradshaw of D'arcy Lever,

Lancashire

 Roger Bradshaw of Aspull,

Lancashire 1664

John Bradshaw of Prisall,

Lancaster (Skale)

John Bradshaw of Lancashire

1624

Henry Bradshaw of Halton, Buckinghamshire
  

Bradshaw of Haigh, Lancashire

(College of Arms)

Bradshaw of Haigh, Lancashire

(Sir Bernard Burke)

Sir William Bradshaw of Haigh, Lancashire

James Bradshaw of Hope, Lancashire (Pendleton)

Bradshaw of Wyndley

Derbyshire c.1567

Bradshaw of Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire

Anthony Bradshaw of Duffield, Derbyshire

Bradshaw of Marple,

Cheshire

Frank Bradshaw JP. of Lifton Park, Devon

Richard Bradshaw of Bonny,

Nottinghamshire 

Bradshaw of Oola,

Co. Tipperary

Bradshaw of Milecross,

Co. Down 1844

 

 

 

 

 

Bradshaw of St. Dogmaels

Pembrokeshire

Bradshaw of Shropshire 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bradshaw of D'arcy Lever, Lancashire

John Bradshaw of Darcy Lever, Lancashire - younger son of Bradshaw of Bradshaw in the county of Lancashire. This 10-generation pedigree ended with two sons James Edward Bradshaw (b.1811) and John Bradshaw (b. 1814)

 

 

 

 

Arms - Argent between two bendlets three escallops in bend sable

 

 

 

 

Roger Bradshaw of Aspull, Co. Lancaster

A four-generation pedigree dated 1664 and headed by Roger Bradshaw of Aspull County Lancaster. The pedigree ends with two daughters of Sir James Bradshaw, who was born circa. 1647 and Knighted in 1672

 

 

 

 

Arms - Argent between two Bendlets three Mullets in bend sable

Crest - On a wreath (Argent & Sable) On a mount vert a buck statant (attired Or) between an Oak tree proper

 

 

 

 

William Bradshaw of Halton Hall, Lancaster

 

 

 

 

 

Arms - Argent three Annulets between two Bendlets sable

Crest - On a Wreath (Argent & Sable) A stag proper attired unguled and charged on the shoulder with an Annulet Or standing beneath a Hawthorn Tree proper

 

 

 

 

John Bradshaw of Lancashire

In January 1624, John Bradshaw of Lancashire was granted Armorial Bearings

 

Deputy Chamberlain of the Exchequer; successively Rose Rouge, Rouge Croix and Windsor;

Died at Southwold, Suffolk, September 1633; buried in St Anne's Chapel, Westminster [Almonry].

 

 

  

 

  

Arms - 2 bends sable & a canton checky argent & azure.

Crest - 2 keys in pale back to back encircled by a crown or, the keys respectively or and argent

(Reference: British History on Line)

 

 

Arms - Argent two Bendlets Sable a Canton chequy Argent and Azure

Crest - On a wreath of the colours Two Keys in pale back to back encircled by a Coronet Or.

 

 

 

 

Bradshawe of Halton Hall, Buckinghamshire

 

    

 

 

 

Copied from the wall plaque at St. Giles Church, Noke, Oxfordshire   

Attorney-General Henry Bradshawe's Coat of Arms

Asure, two bars gules, between nine Leopards

 

 

1506. Argent two bars gu. between nine lions pass, guard.or

Coat of Arms when Chief Baron of the Exchequer

(The General Armoury of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales,  By Bernard Burke)


 

 

 

Bradshaigh, or Bradshaw (Haigh, Co. Lancaster, descended from Sir John Bradshaw, of Bradshaw, a Saxon living at the Conquest; the chief of this ancient and distinguished race at the at the period of the civil wars was Sir Roger Bradshaigh, of Haigh, a gallant and devoted cavalier, created a baronet in 1679, extinct, circa 1786). 

 

 

 

   

 

Qui vit content tient assez

 

Arms - Argent (silver) Two bendlets between two Martlets sable. (black)

Crest – On a mount vert a stag at gaze ppr. under a vine vert, fructed gu.

Motto – Qui vit content tient assez. (He that lives content, has got enough)

 

 

Sir William Bradshaw of Haigh Wigan, Lancashire

 

 

 

Arms - Ar. (Silver) Two bendlets between three Martlets sa (black)

Crest - On a mount vert a stag at gaze pr. under a vine vert, fructed gu.

Motto - Qui vit content tient assez

Source: The General Armoury of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, by (Sir) Bernard Burke

 

 

 

This 19th century walking stick, with a gold band showing a Bradshaw shield bearing three Martlets, is associated with the Bradshaw  of Haigh family. Robert Emanuel Bradshaw is descended from Sir Roger Bradshaw of Haigh, Co. Lancaster.  British History on-line also shows a Bradshaw of Haigh shield - Argent two Bendlets between three Martlets sable

 

Gold band on a 19th century walking stick owned by Robert

Emanuel Bradshaw (1854 - 1903/4) of Co. Tipperary & Dublin

 

 

Arms - Two bendlets between three Martlets

Crest - On a Wreath, on a mount a stag at gaze pr. under a vine.

 

 

 

 

 

Bradshaw of Oola, Co. Tipperary

In 1787, William Harden Bradshaw (1764-1845) of 48 Harecourt Street & XI Fitzwilliam Square, Dublin; claimed right to "heir male" of Bradshaigh of Haigh, Lancashire, upon the death of Sir Roger Bradshaw 4th Baronet, who died without issue.

 

 

Qui vit content tient assez

 

 

Arms - Argent two Bendlets between two Martlets sable

Crest - On a mount vert a stag at gaze ppr. under a vine vert, fructed gu.

Motto - Qui vit content tient assez. (He that lives content, has got enough)

 

 

 

St. Mary's Church of Ireland, Thurles, Co. Tipperary

 

Arms - Argent two Bendlets between two Martlets sable

Crest - On a mount vert a stag Statant, under a vine, fructed

Motto - Qui vit content tient assez.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bradshaw of Milecross, Co. Down

On 6th June 1844, the College of Arms, London granted a coat of Arms to Joseph Hoare Bradshaw & Robert Bradshaw of Milecross, Newtownards, Co. Down. (Reference: College of Arms Mss 107, Pages 284 & 285)   Joseph and Robert are great great grandsons of James Bradshaw, son of William Bradshaw and Elizabeth L Beaumont of Prestwich Yarith (now Manchester) in Lancashire, England.  James came to Ireland in 1649 as a soldier in Cromwell's army and was Captain of the Forlorn Hope at the storming of Drogheda Castle. 

 

 

 

Deus mihi spes et tutamen

 

 

Arms - Argent three Trefoils slipped proper within two bendlets Sable all between as many Martlets Gules

Crest - On a Wreath (Argent and Sable) "On a Mount Vert a Buck statant beneath an Oak tree proper"

Motto - Deus mihi spes et tutamen (God is my hope and safeguard)

 

 

 

 

Bradshaw of Pendleton, Lancashire

A four-generation pedigree of Bradshaw of Pendleton headed by James Bradshaw of Hope, Lancashire and his wife, Alice Robinson.

 

 

 

 

Arms - Argent a Cinquefoil Gules pierced of the field between two bendlets between as many Martlets Sable

 

 

 

 

Bradshaw of Derbyshire

A four-generation pedigree headed by William Bradshaw, the second son of Henry Bradshaw of Bradshaw, Derbyshire.

(Anthony Bradshaw of Duffield, Derbyshire has similar Arms. See above)

 

 

  

 

Arms-Argent on a Torteau a Martlet Or between two Bendlets all between two Martlets

 

 

 

 

Frank Bradshaw, Esq., JP., Lifton Park, Devon

 

 

 

 

 Arms - Argent two Bendlets between two Martlets sable

Crest - A mount vert, thereon a stag statant ppr., gorged with a collar grenel Or, between two oak trees also ppr.

Motto - Tu ne cede malis (yield not to misfortunes)

 

 

 

Bradshaw of Shropshire

 

 

 

 

Arms - Sa. Two bendlets raguly betw. as many hawks ar. Two fleur-de-lis of the first, on the pale a cross patonce Or.

Crest - A Wolf's Head erased arg., collared and Lined Or.

Motto -

(Source - Fairbank's Book of Crests - 1905)

 

 

 

Richard Bradshaw of Bonny, Nottinghamshire

 

 

 

 

 

On March 18, 1576, arms was granted to Anne the wife of Henry Stanley, of Sutton Bennington, Nottinghamshire, daughter of Richard Bradshaw of Bonny, Nottinghamshire.

 

 

 

William Philip Bradshaw (1770 - 1827)

 

NUMEN LUMEN MUNIMEN

(God, My Light, My Protector)

 

In 2000, the London College of Arms granted the above Bradshaw Family Patent to all male descendants of William Philips Bradshaw (1770-1827).  The knight's helmet represents military service, the corn by the stag and in the wheat sheaths are for the farming / milling connection. 

(Pedigree researched by Richard Lee Bradshaw)

 

 

 

College of Arms, London

"There is no such thing as a 'coat of arms for a surname'. Many people of the same surname will often be entitled to completely different coats of arms, and many of that surname will be entitled to no coat of arms. Coats of arms belong to individuals. For any person to have a right to a coat of arms they must either have had it granted to them or be descended in the legitimate male line from a person to whom arms were granted or confirmed in the past." When married, a woman may unite her arms with those of her husband in what are called marital arms; their arms are impaled, meaning placed side by side in the same shield, with those of the man on the dexter and those of his wife on the sinister. If one spouse belongs to the higher ranks of an order of chivalry, and thereby entitled to surround his or her arms with a circlet of the order, it is usual to depict them on two separate shields tilted towards one another, termed accollé. A married woman may also bear either her own arms or her husband's arms alone on a shield with a small differencing mark to distinguish her from her father or husband. If the woman is an heraldic heiress, her arms are shown on an inescutcheon of pretence (a small shield) in the centre of her husband's arms.  When widowed, a woman continues to use her marital arms, but placed on a lozenge or oval.

 

 

 

Contributors to this page include; Turton Local History Society, Lancashire; Richard Lee Bradshaw, California; Tim Robinson, Co. Tipperary; John Bradshaw, Tipperary, Co. Tipperary; Bolton Museum, Lancashire; Alan George, Suffolk, Eyam Museum, Derbyshire, St. Giles Church, Noke, Oxon, St. Michel & All Saints Church Halton, Buckinghamshire & St. Alkmund's Parish Church, Duffield, Derbyshire

 

 

This information is freely available to genealogists and family historians, but must not be used on a pay site or sold for profit.